The four nations have taken slightly different stances on how individuals need to develop and this has resulted in variances in frameworks across the UK. England has introduced Specification of Apprenticeship Standards for England (SASE) and Wales will shortly be publishing its own Specification of Apprenticeship Standards for Wales (SASW) later in 2011. Differences between Apprenticeships across the four countries are summarised below:
- Title: Apprenticeship
- Levels: Intermediate (Level 2), Advanced (Level 3), Higher (Level 4 / Level 5)
- QCF competency qualification
- QCF knowledge and understanding qualification (Technical Certificate)
(These two elements may also be combined into one QCF competence and knowledge qualification)
- Transferable Skills: Functional or Key Skills (Maths and English are compulsory and ICT will be required unless it is deemed as not required for roles at this level in the sector)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR): Helping individuals understand their rights and those of their employer
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS): Helping individuals perform more effectively within the working environment.
- All Apprenticeships will comprise a minimum of 37 QCF credits and 280 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) of which 100 or 30% must be “off the job"
- Title: Modern Apprenticeship
- Levels: The level is determined by the competency qualification level
- Competency qualification (SVQ or NVQ if specified)
- Core Skills: Communication, Working with Others, Problem Solving, IT and Numeracy
- Industry specific training if specified
Wales: It is expected that the Apprenticeships will be the same as those in England except that the transferable skills will be Essential Skills Wales and the PLTS may be optional, dependent on the framework.
Northern Ireland: Apprenticeships will be the same as those in England except that the transferable skills will be Essential Skills Northern Ireland and the PLTS may be optional, dependent on the framework.
For further advice or information on Apprenticeships please contact our Account Services team on 0844 576 0045 (option 3) or email firstname.lastname@example.org